Here are the highlights of this podcast…
Once exercising, nutrition plays a HUGE role!, in fact 80% is nutrition + 20% is exercise.
As a GENERAL rule of thumb, STOP DIETING:
■ Need low glycemic carbs, veggies, fruits, low fat protein sources
■ Reduce processed/refined foods
■ Instead of dieting, make permanent healthy changes to your eating habits.
Here are some great tips to get you started…
Food Timing Tips
Eat every 3-4 hours
START eating before you’re too hungry and STOP eating before you’re full.
Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks per day.
Your goal is to avoid an insulin response (which means your body is primed for fat storing), by eating meals too close together, you’ll feel sluggish and you’ll have less opportunity to burn fat.
Listen to your body:
Your body knows when to eat but most of us don’t listen. Rather we eat for:
- Social reasons – events, pressure from others
- STRESS – emotional eating
- HALTS – We’re angry, lonely, bored, tired, stressed
- Clock watcher – it’s ‘time’ to eat
- No appetite due to poor food timing or content of food (eg eating too much fat or no morning appetite due to over eating at night – need to switch food around – don’t eat enough in the day, over eat at night, perpetuates the cycle)
Portion control tips:
■ Protein: Deck of cards or size of your palm
■ Starchy Carbs: Size of fist eg. pasta/rice/potatoes
■ Veggies: unlimited (steamed, raw, grilled, not sautéed)
■ Salads: unlimited with dressing on side
■ Fat: End of the thumb
Want some support?