Best Diet Hack Ever!

One of the BEST ways to improve your health is to food track because there’s an immediate & natural accountability & improvement in food quality when tracking.

If you are SERIOUS about your goals, it’s best to get a personalized target so you have something to aim for. I can help you – just reach out!

Here are some macro counting tips…

Goal: Shoot for 10% either side of each macro target for the day, 90% of the time (as long as the other 10% of the time isn’t binge eating)..

Starchy Carbs

Here are some examples of common foods…

  • Raw Potatoes ~15g-20g carbs per 100g wgt
  • Sweet potatoes, ~20-25g per 100g wgt
  • Dried Rice (works for most dried pasta too) ~70g of carbs per 100g wgt

Carbs —>Fruit

  • Consider one ‘medium’ sized piece of fruit (an apple, a banana, a pear, an orange, etc.) to be 25g of carbs
  • Other things like berries, melon, etc —>Weigh them once & look them up

Carbs —>Vegetables


  • Count the carbs in starchy vegetables (eg. carrots, peas, corn, potatoes, parsnips) because energy content is high & fiber content per gram of carbs is low
  • Don’t fuss about counting the carbs in any leafy, green vegetables & fibrous veggies because they aren’t very energy dense & it’s tough to eat so many that it makes a significant impact on intake


Here are some examples:

  • Uncooked beef/ chicken/ pork/ lamb/ fish 100g = ~20-25g protein
  • One large egg = ~8g protein 5g fat
  • Egg whites = ~4g protein

Fat content in meat adds so be mindful of your fat macro budget for the day.

Here are the leanest protein sources…

  • Chicken breast (skinless)
  • some red meat
  • fish
  • egg
  • protein shakes <—limit to one meal per day
  • Skimmed milk & other, low-fat dairy


  • In contrast to vegetables, fat is highly energy dense…Generally 1g of weight = 1g fat = 9 Cal
  • Since energy content is high count the fat in everything

Eating Out

Use your hand to estimate (one hand for women – use two hands for men)

  • palm size is protein serving
  • fist size is starchy carb
  • open palm is serving of veg
  • end of thumb is fat serving
  • Try to replicate what you eat at home as much as possible. Visual memory should help here with portion sizes, choices.
  • Exaggerate the numbers in the meal, especially the fat count.
  • ‘De-construct’ a meal into it’s components and log individually if you can’t find a food in your food tracker that seems reasonable.
  • *Adjust the rest of the day around your meals out.

Macro tracking has helped me maintain my weight since high school – I have NOT macro tracked my entire life – I’ve used the education I gained to adjust serving sizes & eat for my metabolism.

If you want more direction, I’d love to help! You can start the conversation by filling in this questionnaire.

Happy food tracking!