Lots of folks think that you need a lot of bells and whistles to have a good workout. Not so. Your bodyweight is sufficient for an amazing workout, as you’ll see if you do the follow along workout I have for you below.
Now, I must be honest, I don’t ONLY use bodyweight training, but it IS a staple in my workouts. And another staple is the almighty SQUAT.
The trouble with the squat is so many people do it incorrectly, their knees hurt and they think they should stop squatting. It’s imperative to built strength to support the knee, especially if the knee is sore or injured. The trick is doing it without further irritating the knee.
Here are a few squatting tips to keep in mind:
- Remember to push your butt back and put your weight on your heels.
- Keep the core tight.
- Keep the chin up and chest high.
Here are some ways to modify the squat:
- Modify the depth so you work in a pain free range of motion.
- Try a plié squat, but make sure the feet are wide enough so the knees don’t go over the toes.
- Try a wall sit instead of a squat, weight on the heels, knees at 90 degrees.
Now I have a follow along workout at the end of this video I did on Periscope. I promise I’ll get better at filming these things, I’m just learning this new social media. By the way, I’d LOVE for you to find me on Periscope. We can interact in real time because you can comment or ask questions right on the live broadcast.
Here’s the video:
This mini squat workout is the Punisher Tabatta. This can be done AFTER your workout or as a quickie if you have no time to train. It’s a more effective calorie burning workout than a 30 minute slow steady plod on a treadmill.
It’s only be 4 minutes long.
Honestly, the workout doesn’t sound like much, given the time it takes. I mean anyone can do something for 4 minutes right?
- Set your timer for two sets: 20 seconds and 10 seconds for 8 rounds.
- Do a squat jump for the 20 seconds and a squat pulse for the 10 seconds.
- If needed, do a bigger ROM (range of motion) for the pulse to give your quads a break.
- Drop down (under control!) as deep as you can for the squat and then power up for the jump.
- Be prepared for a massive quad burn!
You’ll see the broadcast below, I did a screen capture of the replay for you so that you’d see how Periscope works. You’ll also see the (brutal) follow along 4 min video I did for you at the end.
If you don’t have time to watch the entire video, go to 14:07 for the workout.
Now, if you do this 4 minutes of torture, you’ll know that bodyweight workouts are an effective way to train. Holy Quad!
That’s why I made you the Challenge Workouts Bodyweight Bundle
These bodyweight workouts are a steal of a deal (29 workouts for only $12) and they can’t be found anywhere else. I had a request for JUST a bodyweight package, so I pulled these ones together for you, I know you’ll love them.