Have you met my alter ego?
As some of you may already know, I have multiple personalities…(So you really don’t need another trainer…kidding!)
My first blog is called Female Fat Loss Over 40 and it caters to women (obviously) over 40. I started this blog to help many of my local fitness boot campers who needed some support when they weren’t in boot camp. This blog provides a ton of information with workouts, nutrition, hormone related articles, etc.
It was a fun gig to work on until I was inspired to start THIS Challenge Workouts blog.
To be honest, I felt like I didn’t always resonate with the wonderful ladies on my Female Fat Loss Over 40 blog. Some of whom would be celebrating doing their first full push up (a major accomplishment!). I figured they must look at me like I have two heads when I post a video of, say myself doing 50 pull ups in under 5 minutes. I mean, that’s just a mis-fit right? So I had a conundrum. I didn’t want to stop working on my female fat loss blog, but I didn’t want to alienate the ladies either.
So I started this Challenge Workouts gig and I soon found an awesome woman to help me with the Female Fat Loss Over 40 blog. She is Lisa Bullock from down under, I’m sure you’ve seen her on this blog, in my emails or on my Facebook page before. She’s kick in the pants fun, but more importantly, she’s a long time trainer, in her 40’s and has a passion to help women.
It’s the perfect fit. So if you ever visit my alter-ego blog, you’ll meet super star biz partner, Lisa B =)
Now, I wanted to share a workout from the Female Fat Loss Over 40 program for you. If you’re ‘not quite ready’ for some of the challenges in the Challenge Workout series, or if you just want a little more variety, you’ll love these follow along videos. I filmed them with some of my local clients, (real women!) and some of my offline trainers.
Here’s the workout:
This is a great alternative to a workout on the treadmill (although if you’re a treadmill addict, I have you covered! Click here!).
Try this 5 exercise circuit:
- 10 burpees (or alternatives)
- 10 renegade rows
- 10 per leg mountain climbers
- 10 reverse lunges
- 10 prisoner squats
Repeat this circuit as many times as you can in 10, 12, 15 or 20 minutes depending on your fitness level or how much time you have.
*Remember the 10 minute rule: If you don’t feel like training, give yourself just 10 minutes to sweat. When the timer goes off at 10 minutes, you’ll either pack it in having raised your metabolism with a little movement, or more likely, you’ll finish your workout and feel great!
I thought I’d throw in this video that I did with fitness friend, Dawn Sylvester…(I’ll have her on the blog coming up soon.)
She asks me what are my top tips for fat loss for women over 40.
To summarize, here are my tips from the video:
1. Ditch the steady state cardio. Cardio is NOT the answer to a lean and sexy body. Add HIIT or high intensity interval training to your workouts. Increase intensity and shorten the workouts. There’s no sense in running a marathon or jumping on the tread mill for 30 min or an hour when you can get better benefits from a sweaty 20 min workout.
2. Strengthen the body with resistance training to add lean muscle. This increases resting metabolic rate to keep your metabolism fired up and this adds lots of sexy shape.
3. Although we never got to this because we were SO hot in the Az sun, this is an important tip: Avoid the ‘see food’ diet. Sadly, your abs are made in the kitchen and no amount of working out or ‘cardio’ will give you the desired results. You don’t need to starve yourself, but you can’t eat with reckless abandon. Decrease starchy carbs, increase lean proteins and healthy fats, avoid liquid calories – it’s not rocket science.
You’ll find a lot of answers to a tanking metabolism, an expanding waist line with manageable workouts in ‘Female Fat Loss Over 40‘
It’s my ‘alter -ego’ 🙂
You’ll sweat with me while you do the follow along workouts in your living room. Workouts are short and sweet but you’ll get lasting results!