Here’s a fun workout that uses my favorite tool: the jump rope and my other fav HIIT: the burpee. Crazy dog: optional.
The added challenge is to have a crazy one eyed dog running around your workout area. Sev runs around in circles like a rabbit shaking a toy. Then he runs upstairs (my gym is in the basement). It sounds like a bowling alley up there until he shoots through the gym door like a bat out of hell with his ball in his mouth. He then chases that around the gym, all the while running up to me trying to bite my feet when I’m not looking. He got clipped in the nose by my jump rope on several occasions but it didn’t slow him down much.
Here was the workout:
1 min jump rope
1 min AB move (plank, hanging leg raise, shoe touch etc – change every set)
1 min burpee variation
1 min AB move
Repeat set up to 8 times (While fending off crazy dog ;))
Here are some ab options:
- plank with alternating leg lift
- TRX plank
- TRX pike
- TRX pendulum
- side plank (switch half way)
- shoe touch
- floor leg lifts
- reverse hip lifts
- spider crawl
- hanging leg raise
- hanging oblique leg raise
Here are some fun burpee options:
- burpee squat jump count up (one burpee, one squat jump, one burpee, two squat jumps, one burpee, three squat jumps…)
- burpee mountain climber count up (same idea as above)
- long jump burpee (long jump forward, burpee, turn around, repeat)
- wide stance burpee (feet really wide on jump into plank position)
- burpee pull up
- burpee while fending off the kisses of your favorite four legged beast
For more jump rope workouts, you’ll love Challenge Jump Rope. And of course, soon to be released Challenge Burpee is full of more fun burpee workouts. Get a free burpee workout here. Check out Challenge Burpee for great workouts with a ton of burpee variations (cuz the regular burpee just isn’t fun enough right?)
Sev is available for hire as YOUR training partner! He has a lot of energy to burn off! When we got him we thought we were getting this calm and quiet dog. Turns out he was just insecure, unhealthy and underfed. A little TLC, good food and healthcare and he’s so full of life, piss and vinegar 🙂 So much fun, even if he has a lot of manners to learn.
One more thing….I wanted to share a recipe that even I can cook. I love the recipes HERE. As I’ve mentioned before, cooking isn’t one of my talents, so anytime I can find recipes that are easy to make and edible, I’m more than thrilled (well, my kids are the happiest actually). Here you go:
Chili-Garlic Chicken Skewers
6 Wooden Skewers, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
2 Chicken Breasts, diced
1 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tsp. Red Chilies, seeds removed & finely chopped
4 Garlic Cloves, minced
6 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F or preheat barbeque grill on high heat.
- To make sauce, combine the oil, chilies, garlic, and lemon juice in
a small bowl. Set aside for a few minutes.
- Thread diced chicken onto skewers and place on an oven tray lined
with baking paper.
- Pour chili and garlic sauce over the chicken, coating well.
- Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until chicken is cooked. If
cooking on a grill, cook chicken for 5-6 minutes on each side. Serve with a smile 🙂
Yum! Grab more healthy recipes that will support all that jump rope and burpees you’re doing 😉