We all know that I’m not a great cook. Lucky for you that I’m not your mom and you didn’t grow up on my lack luster dishes. I always say, ‘never trust a skinny cook’, and I’m just that. (While I don’t like to think of myself as ‘skinny’ I wouldn’t say that I have a lot of excess baggage.) My kids never got much in the way of baked goods. Their grandma more than made up for this, so I feel they didn’t have too much reason to call the Children’s Help line 😉
I just came across Belinda Benn’s new cook book and in it she features 24 different cupcake recipes. Seriously? I didn’t know that it was even possible to have that much cupcake variety. Stay tuned and I’ll have more info about Belinda and her new recipes coming up.
Here’s one cupcake recipe to try:
Cappuccino, Fig and Quinoa with Roasted Coffee Frosting
(Energy Boosting Cupcake)
Makes approx. 15 cupcakes
- ½ cup quinoa flour
- ¼ cup almond meal (flour)
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or ½ teaspoon of Stevia
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda (baking soda)
- ¼ cup dried figs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons espresso (strong) coffee
- 1 egg white, beaten to stiff peaks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (340°F). Prepare the cupcake tin by lining it with paper cases.
- Sift the flour, almond meal, cacao & bicarbonate soda (baking soda) into a bowl, add the sugar or stevia & mix well.
- Combine the applesauce, oil, coffee & vanilla in a separate bowl, whisking well.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture & combine well.
- Fold through the beaten egg white & figs.
- Place into the prepared cupcake cases.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Calories 71.4, protein 1.9 g, carbs 9.5 g, fat 3.3 g, fiber 3.3 g
Roasted Coffee Frosting
- ¼ cup coconut oil (not melted)
- ½ teaspoon organic coffee extract
- 2 teaspoons coconut milk, unsweetened & organic
- ¼ teaspoon stevia powder
- 1 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- Using an electric mixer blend the coconut oil with the arrowroot powder until light & fluffy.
- Add the coffee extract, coconut milk, & stevia & mix well.
- Mix in the almond meal by hand.
- Refrigerate for 5 to 10 minutes before using on your cupcakes.
Calories 36.2 , protein 0.1 g , carbs 0.5 g, fat 3.7 g