Nadine from the 9:30 am boot camp shared her protein granola bars with me and I asked her for the recipe. They are super yummy! Thanks for sharing Nadine!
These granola bars are all natural, super healthy, and they taste great! We make them all the time. You can substitute dried fruit for the chocolate chips if you want to.
· 1 cup whey or soy protein powder(try different flavors in powder to change taste of bar.)
· ½ cup whole wheat flour
· 2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
· ½ cup rye flour
· ½ cup ground flax seed + 1/2 cup pumpkin seed or sunflower seed
· ½ cup wheat germ or use bran flakes
· ½ teaspoon sea salt
· 1 teaspoon cinnamon( I use 2 as I like cinnamon)
· ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
· ½ cup honey, sucanat or agave nectar( I used agave nectar)
· 1 cup karob chips( or you can used the real choc chip but I use karob chips)
· 1½ cups nonfat yogurt (plain or vanilla)( I use greek yogurt as higher protein)
· ¼ cup coconut oil
· 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
· 1 teaspoon vanilla
· 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
· 2. In a large mixing bowl combine protein powder, flours, oats, oat bran, flax seed, seeds, wheat germ, sea salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chocolate chips.
· 3. In another bowl mix the yogurt, oils, vanilla and honey. Mix well. Add the yogurt mixture to the dry ingredients. Use your clean bare hands to combine these well. I coat my hands with cooking spray or olive oil to help prevent sticking.
· 4. Press mixture in prepared pan. Bake on middle rack in oven for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool and cut into bars. Place these bars on a cookie sheet lined with silpat and bake again for another 15 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a wire cooling rack to let cool. Place in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator. Makes about 20 bars.Or freeze Individual bars.